for decades I was a nature & wildlife photographer at semi-pro or advanced amateur status

then my daughter got into modeling about the time dslr's were becoming available, so I jumped from film to digital, spent days every week on pro fashion shoots, with some of the best mentors in the NW to challenge me

that evolved into shooting alot of models, fashion & fashion shows, but often, when on set, I'd find myself doing candids of the pets hanging around, pretty soon the pros were sending me their pets for portraits, and soon word spread.

when my hubby passed, I started doing a portrait booth at breed shows, but, around here there are 3 set in stone portrait photogs, and 4 show photogs for the two states, so breaking in that way would require a year or more of free apprenticing ... couldn't afford that, so snuck in the back door thru agility & other dog sports ... now I get majority of small dog specialties that pass thru our area, and more & more of the larger ones

in 08 I opened my 2000 sq ft studio where I do boudoir & pets non stop, plus it is a co-op, so other photographers pay me to share the space, and I don't have a huge overhead expense

I shoot Canon

PDXDogPortraits