Welcome to Digital Photography 101: with each generation of camera, the files get bigger and better. Each camera demands better and better lenses. Each new generation of cameras pushes the software manufacturers to improve their products. And each improvement in software demands more computing power and storage capability.

The longest I've been able to stay with one model of camera has been 3 years. And I have more than one body. I've had to upgrade PhotoShop almost every time it's gone to a new generation (I'm currently on CS5). I upgrade my Macs (yes, more than one) every 2 years or whenever they force me to because of a new processor which requires a new OS which the new version of PhotoShop will only work with. Yup, they've got us. And there's no way out if you do this for a living. Maybe you can stay put if your photography is a hobby and the files you're getting meet your needs and wants. But when you are a professional, you have no choice but to keep pace.

In the film days (soft, nostalgic music in the background) nothing changed for decades. Cameras. Lenses. Film. Processing chemicals. Paper. Labs. Today, there a scores of websites that report the new additions to digital photography every day! Photography is a money pit. And riding the leading edge of it is a very expensive trip.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz