When we lost our first dog several years ago everyone told me the best thing to do is to get another dog. I didn't believe them. She was my heart dog and nothing and no one could make feel better ever again, or so I thought. Eventually we did end up getting another dog and I couldn't believe it but I started to feel better. Nothing will ever replace the feelings I had for her but I started to realize that love was a limitless resource. I could still love her and explore a new and different love with the new dog. That's why when we lost Skyy last August I started the process of getting a puppy. I knew we wouldn't be ready right away, you still have to grieve but I knew that we would want another dog. It ended up being a great blessing because when Malibu died in November it gave me something to hold on to and look forward to. The puppies were born less than two weeks before he passed away and every time I logged on to Facebook and saw new pics of them growing bigger and more beautiful it was like a lifeline reinforcing that message that there was more love to come in my future. I still miss them very much and I will always miss them. But Red is such an ebullient presence in the house that I don't dwell on the sadness of their loss but rather I can look back at all the happy times we had.