Hi Holly,

Quote:
After the shoot I would assume that you would offer prints for the customer to purchase however would you provide them with the digital images too? For example small images, say 600px with your logo on just for online purposes?

Depends on the type of shoot: for formals at Conformation Dog Shows, I usually either print 8X10s and mail them with order forms for additional products -- including files, both hi rez and web rez, or, for large National Specialties, I post them on my website and folks can order the product(s) they want online. For private portrait sessions, I usually like to review the images directly (in person) with the owners and show them samples of the products we offer i.e. canvas prints, metal prints, etc. For Performance Events such as Herding Trials, I only post the images online.

Increasingly, folks aren't interested in prints as much as they are interested in files either for the web or so they can order their own enlargements, canvas prints etc. without having to pay markup. Anybody with a digital camera and online access can find labs that will do much of what our "professional labs" do. So, the key is to make sure we make our session fee and also make enough on the files to make the shoot worthwhile. At least on the portrait side. On the event side, we need to make sure that we make enough sales to cover our cost of sale and overhead. Many of us use the shows to bring us portrait customers where there is much more room for positive gross margin (sometimes called -- inaccurately -- profit :)).

Quote:
Do you edit the images before the client chooses the prints to purchase or afterwards? I would find it a waste if 30 plus images were taken and fully edited but the customer only purchases a couple of prints.

I do minimal edits for performance events; cropping and all the adjustments for Show Formals except adding in the sign; I retouch most proofs for portraits to make sure folks understand what the final version will look like.

Quote:
And finally, does there tend to be a specific type of market that brings in a lot of work.. eg. dog/horse shows, commercial work etc..?

The best market is pet portraits but it also requires the most work to set up. If you are going to bring customers to you, you need a studio. If you are going to go to them, you need a mobile studio setup. In either case, you need to market yourself so that folks will know how to find you. Event photography (dogs, horses) is easier to get into but the margins are slim at best. At least here in the states. Can't speak for what's happening in your part of the world.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz