Just an update for your information: Sundance was rushed to the vet on Thursday morning and underwent an emergency splenectomy. They found 3 masses on the spleen when they removed it and have sent them off for pathology. Two of them had ruptured and his abdomen was filled with blood.

However, when the surgeon was in the abdomen, she found no additional signs of tumors on any other organs, particularly the liver. And Xrays showed clear lungs and a strong heart. I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the latter smile. Sundance spent the night at an Emergency Clinic and we took him back to our vet for a day of monitoring and tests yesterday and, last evening, he was released to go home. He virtually ran to the van (and he's not supposed to be able to walk) and with just a bit of help climbed in.

Last night, he slept in bed with Linda and went out with me a few times to pee -- a good sign actually. This morning he had another blood test and his blood levels are increasing in a positive way. He was very sweet during the visit, let the lab techs take his blood without breaking his sit/stay and even gave his vet a kiss (he has excellent taste). He's now eaten two full meals and had two normal bowel movements -- details you probably don't need to know but it is a very positive sign of his recovery. The vet is very impressed. He is a very strong boy.

When we brought Sundance in a couple of months ago, he weighed 137 lbs. This morning, he weighed 120 lbs. Most of that weight loss was due to the removal of the spleen but he's a much more svelte boy right now. So, we gave him a few bites of our shortbread cookies this morning just to help him regain his strength smile.

The prognosis is complicated: if the tumors are benign, he should recover from the surgery and live a long, happy life. If the results come in as hemangiosarcoma, we will have to explore treatment options. But one thing we do know: Sundance is a very strong young dog and he can handle anything we need to ask him to do.

We would appreciate you keeping SunnyD in you thoughts this Holiday Season.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz