I would like to see how you feel about studio pet images verses outside shots. It seems calendars always want outside and they don't mind lots of props. Seems contradictory since outside would be nice in their natural setting, but inside with props makes more sense to me.
That takes me to the use of props - what is acceptable to you? Dressing up pets?

Hi Peggy Sue,

Great questions. Honestly, my feeling is that it all depends on what you like and what your client wants. My website (wild coyote studio), which has not been updated in about 4 years, still has tons of outdoor shots in the park. Over the years, we have gotten a reputation for doing formal work with lights and drops. Our clients have become more and more selective in terms of what they are looking for. I think that given the huge disparity between what is shown, you can see what the larger interest for most folks. i.e. the pet in the larger environment.

I have never bothered to stock my work - though I have been debating doing it and have been in talks with a few folks about stocking our work. Preston always said that you would make more money picking cans out of the garbage and from what I hear, it is not a huge business. So, 'what sells' is definitely not my domain of expertise beyond what my individual clients like.

As to the use of props - again, it really depends. I use them very sparingly - but that is because I don't want them to be distracting in the over-all composition. I think of photography as being the exact opposite of painting. In a painting, you start with an empty canvas and build out. With photography, you start with a full canvas and attempt to isolate. Adding elements can be very distracting if not done 'right.'

As to dogs in dress - well, as you can see by the photo from this month's new article, I am not entirely opposed to it. However, it is not my first choice over-all. I like a naked dog - but for some folks the dress is an important part of their relationship with the pet. I figure that as long as no one is being unduely tortured by the clothing that it not such a big deal. :P

Thoughts?

James