Hey,

I 100% agree about the dynamic interaction between the two ducklings. I also agree with you that unfortunately you feel a bit far away from the action in this photo. However, for me, the primary issue is that the obstruction of the grass is significant enough that it impinges on the dynamic play between the two little guys (lol, whatever the genders are).

Think of photography as being the exact opposite of painting. In a painting, you start with a blank canvas and you can rearrange things as you wish. The canvas gets developed based on how you create it. In photography, you start with a full canvas and you need to figure out how to reduce to the bare bones in order to tell your story.

Now, given that these are wild birds, and you are a distance away, it may not have been possible to be in a place to isolate the ducks photographically. As a documentary photograph, that works out just fine. If you are looking to create a wildlife portrait, however, that is where you need all of the elements to come together.

Thoughts?

James