Quote:

... I know I would not like it if some guy started photographing my pooch without my consent.

Exactly James, which is why that approach would be all the wrong way around. Sure it is a kind of "street photography" but it is not sneaky journalism. The opposite approach works fine, talk to the owner, say you like the look of their dog, that you'd like a couple of shots of the dog, and look here's my card, I usually put them on this website for a week so owners can have a look at them, is-that-okay?? They say either yes or no, I think it is more polite to ask first, otherwise it is as bad as taking a shot of a child without permission, - just not acceptable. With dogs I do not offer a model release to sign, I believe permission by word is okay.

For the selling of images - either tell them they are available and the basic price for a small print: or they can see that info on the website if and when they look at it. I think it is better to state price and availability.

James I know what you mean about stepping out of the comfort zone to "hang around" dog parks. But those of us at the starting end of a photography business can't get started unless we are proactive about it: if we don't work to create our business, there wil be no work to be seen and appreciated by someone else - whether we are starting by posting on dog-owner forums, or attending dogsports events, or pet photography as "street photography" or a combination of these, there has to be a starting point to progress from.