Hey Tony,

I 100% agree with you that he was crazy - and I mean that in a psychological fashion (though hard to peg as to what exactly). I actually went to the movie with a friend of mine who is a psychiatrist. He was stumped as to how to diagnose Treadwell due to his host of different characterlogical and other issues.

I don't think that it takes away from what he was able to do though. That is what I have been seperating - it is easy to say "ouch, that Treadwell was a crazy guy and what happened was fully expected." I am just amazed at how long that it took and some of the footage he got along the way. The other interesting thing is that when Treadwell and his girlfriend got eaten, they had definitely made some big mistakes. Unfortunately, this did seem to be a result, at least in part, of the narcicism that you were describing earlier. The first was going back so late in the season - most of the bears they dealt with regularly had gone into hibernation and it was bears from other areas of the interior who were not familiar with them that they encountered.

You are right about his girlfriend. She referred to him as 'hellbent' yet stuck by his side the entire time.

I think that Treadwell and his actions were definitely polarizing. However, I do not think that in any way that it changes just how deeply incredible some of his feats were.

-JM