"I have to say there is something mesmerizing about being in their presence. Especially true when you are looking through the lens and "shooting". You forget these are huge dangerous animals and there is a sense of wonderment and if I dare say it, "kinship" with these majestic animals. We had no protection of any kind with us during the week I spent in Alaska and our guide was a young college Biology graduate with a few years experience in the "wild". As it turned out,we were about 40 miles from the location where Treadwell and his girlfriend were killed on the Katmai peninsula."

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for posting. I had not realized quite how close you were getting to the bears - though I knew it had to be VERY close because some of your images are just so outstanding.

I am glad that you saw the movie. What did you make of it as a documentary? For me, while the movie is quite interesting, and Treadwell's accomplishments quite remarkable, it is hard to see Treadwell as a sympathetic character. I am still in awe over some of his accomplishments.

-JM