Julie, Ive watched your growth from the begining, I think you did a great job. I'm no expert and may even be a bit critical at times, but as a casual onlooker, and not a pet photographer – I’ve owned big and small animals all my life and raised Australian Cattle Dogs (they were working dogs) since I was a wee-small boy – I’d have to say you did a great job overall.

I think you did a great job considering the difficulties you had with your team, and all the different situations and pets and people and angles and on and on. I think you’re a heck a good person for doing what you do, keep it up!

I have a question, why do people get just their pest photographed? I understand show shots for sales etc, but I did not realize that people just go to get their pets seasonally photographed. Do people return to have just their pets photographed year after year?

I have a few constructive comments. First, I prefer to see the dogs in natural positions, mostly like you’ve done, but do not like to see the frontal, face on penis shot like the one on your opening page. Sure it’s natural, but it’s very in your face. Really, it’s a great shot, but for me, it’s just a little too much. Like I said, I own horses, cattle and small animals, but to me those shots are only appealing to “serious” dog people, and their owners. That’s your audience, so my comments are from an outsider, looking in. Even a little angle on that shot would give it a more appealing appearance.

Second, I think you should try to take a few photo journalistic, or candid type shots of the pet and the owner interacting with one another. Just shoot it while you’re prepping them for the strict pose. Some of your shots are a bit too posed and too static. I know it’s tough to shoot animals, I do horses all the time, but, I think you could be a little quicker on shutter, and try to catch that occasional face to face, or emotional shot between the animal and the owner. I also think you could dial down the lights a bit, or put a bit more angle on them and drop down the back lighting for a more dramatic light.

Have you read any good portrait lighting books? I think you should try some more directional light, your stuff, while technically correct in many ways, is kind of flat, and I think that’s because of the lack of shadows (in the right places) and too much straight on light. A more personal mood would make your shots really stand out!!!

That said, I’m very impressed that you could do so well with the family shots and all those dogs and kids!!!!!!!! I really think you did a great job on the white background shot with all those kids, dogs, and parents…. I never could pull that off!!!!!

You must have to tape the heck out of your power cords etc! You must be glad you got better light stands; I know I’d be real nervous about a dog bumping the light stands. Don’t you wish you could mount them on tracks!!!! That would be awesome!!

Keep it up. I think you’re doing great.