Quote:

... an indoor dog show with dubious lighting? ...

Nat, that's a very kind way to describe the lighting at KCC Park. The very very little I have shot there has told me why some dog photographers just do not go there. Dim lighting is 3-mixture of incand, fluro and huge windows so WB not clear-cut, and high ISO needed for sharp action. Flash of course not appropriate ringside, but exhibitors seem 'used to' flash both on and off camera being used for win-shots (and candids up to a common-sense point). I was 'only just' satisfied with some results from my 85mm 1.8 - the rings are small, so a 200mm prime could be too long. And yes with a prime you need to move more to let your legs be the zoom, but it gets easier. Raw is probably a safer option than jpeg as you could need to do more PP than with the outdoor rings.

Can't add to anything DeeDee has said, but I think you'd find anything less than f1.8 could be a liability, it's probably worth compromising on length or go 3rd party lens rather than compromise on aperture.

If you are lucky with the weather on the day, will they use outdoor rings (or not)?