Quote:

It just depends. I will not work without assistance. .... Outdoor shots are easier.

Yes assistance is a must - most of my portrait shots are at Club where the dogs have at least commenced obedience training. But it still takes one person to handle the dog and another with a food or squeaky-toy attraction to either gain a more alert expression (I don't like it when this is over-done) or just to keep the head still a moment for a sharper shot.

With posing, natural is great, but as with horses a dog with a hip-shot stance or shoulders drooped and neck slunked is not always a good look. I think it is always best to try also for a few shots with something like a show stack even with crossbred dogs to show the conformation at its best. This is case-by-case: of course a nervous dog that has not been taught to stand will be confused and unwilling (melt-down).

It's not a big issue, just that I think the client should be offered a formal as well as informal style even if they have not known to ask for it - it can be the shot they choose for a larger print.

With stack shots (win shots, or non-winners at owner's request) at a show, an assistant to get the dogs attention/ears up as well as a dog handler is a must - and I think even a pet-only shoot should include the same assistance for best result.

If handler/owner included in shot, say sitting on the ground side-by-side, the look to avoid is the handler grasping the dog firmly as if to prevent escape: often it comes through as looking more forceful/controlling than a partnership/friendship look.

Puppy litters are outside my experience to shoot, and I'd love some advice on how a frisky group are managed??