I am dealing with (mainly) pure breeds and often show dogs, so my priority is to get flattering 'correct' representations of the breed. Generally formal stack shots,
head and sometimes gaiting. Once I have done those more formal shots then I might do some candids and fun shots where I welcome ideas from the owners or use my own.

I agree with Julie and will say I have found show people helpful. Most owners are great to deal with in that they 'know' what they want (or I will tell them what I need) and will help set the dog. Best there is someone,
or several people present to help 'bait' the dog, get/keep its attention. Assistants help things flow better and allows one to do things in a more timely manner.

Also there are different 'preferences' for different breeds as far as stacking, angles, head carriage, ear set etc. Even some pet owners may want something that is true to the breed and not looking too sloppy.

With puppies, the last lot I photographed there were four people present myself included. Even then we didnt do the whole litter. Just individuals or a few at a time. Frisky puppies - use several handlers or find a way (eg props) to 'contain' them. Good reflexes, patience and a sense of humour a must.

My online photo galleries: http://www.pbase.com/chezzyr