Cheryl, I am surprised that no-one has responded to your post, I was hoping to see other peoples answers as well.

I don't have any experience, but I can certainly understand what you are saying, especially in regards to undercutting the official photographer.

I guess the only way to avoid or minimise it would be to have a signed contract with the Club that no other commercial photography is allowed - maybe this should be included in writing on the Show Schedule for everyone to see, with all your contact details. Part of the contract could include the Club being responsible for telling people not to take photos, if it happens on the day.

However, I think this is one of those things that unless all official photographers take the same stance, then an individual might be labelled difficult and not commissioned to be the official photog again.

Also, unless someone is obviously handing out flyers/business cards and making it well known that they are selling prints, I doubt that club officials would be keen to approach everyone with a camera (although I believe at the Royals they will ask someone with pro looking equipment to leave, so it does happen).

I imagine this would cause more animosity (people do have the right to photograph their own or their friends dogs after all), and I suspect that it might actually damage the official photographers reputation.

Then you have other people who might be there to develop their skills as a photographer - they may not be selling their prints, but they are there developing their skills so that they can do so in the future, so they are future competiton to the official photographer.

Similarly, many artists will attend dog/horse/cat shows to obtain reference photos for their artwork and might very well be handing out business cards, seeing as many pro-photographers won't allow their photos to be used as art reference without $ compensation. How do you treat these type of photographers?

I don't know the answer but maybe it boils down to the need to make your ("your" as in any pro-photog not just you personally) own photography unique, different, exceptional so that client's seek you out for the end result that only you can create.

Maybe writing a detailed letter/email explaining how you feel and the reasons (covering costs etc) and providing that to the show committee when you are approached to be the official photographer is the way to go. It definitely needs to be addressed before the actual show day though, so that the photog is not seen as being difficult.

I really hope others with experience in dealing with this situation come forward and post. Or maybe everyone is in the same situation - not liking it but not knowing what to do either?