"Interesting that John doesn't carry any kind of emergency 'bear repellant'. I'm just as much an advocate of preserving our wildlife as anyone but there is great potential for death and serious injury from those magnificent creatures that a tripod or fast legs just wouldn't handle."

Amen. Having said that, I am not sure how much bear repellant will do except make an already upset bear really angry.

"I've made some great friends through the DPReview forums and have visited with and gone on photo excursions with several. Some folks are leery of making friends on the internet but I haven't met an axe-murderer yet! "

Nor have I. We actually tried to meet up with one of our forum members when I was out west last. Someday I really want to get to Glacier and meet Final Shot. I also want to meet Ron Reznick (who lives about 15 minutes from my brother Patrick, apparantly).

However, I do have some anxieties about meeting people over the net...and I am of the internet generation. I just think that a lot of people seem very different than how they come off on-line. I know I have discomfort for my friends who are meeting people on-line.

-JM