"I know this varies from year to year but when is the best time for color? I am planning to be there around the 15th of September and stay for 3 weeks."

Hi Don,

Congrats on your upcoming trip. Yellowstone is one of my favorite places on earth. As to your question about when is best to go Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park for folliage, the answer is it really depends. I think that any time from late September to Mid October is excellent.

Yellowstone, being higher up typically goes a few days prior to Grand Teton. When the folliage goes, it goes very quickly. When the leaves really start to turn, my experience has been that you have about a week (sometimes less) to get your photographs.

I prefer the Tetons for folliage and Yellowstone for wildlife. The elk are generally prolific by the West Gate. If you are interested in a greater variety of colors, you might want to ride to the other side of the Tetons. There are lots of reds mixed with the yellows.

Have you determined where you are going to stay? I can definitely recommend a few affordable places if you are interested.

Cheers
James

Last edited by James Morrissey; 03/03/07 12:30 AM.