Hey Don,

Have you figured out where you are staying yet (not the hotels, but the locations)? Depending on what you are looking for, there are a lot of great places.

I typically stay at a place called "The Buckrail Lodge" in Jackson Hole. It is very affordable and in the heart of Jackson. There are no phones in the rooms, but I always found that to be one of the nice things about the place. The rooms are spacious, they have wireless internet and jacuzzi. The woman who owns/operates the place is Janet Colonel. A wonderful human being, by my lights. It has been my place of choice when staying in Jackson for nearly 10 years.

If you are looking for something more upscale, there is a nice B&B that my wife and I stayed at a couple of years ago called the Grand Victorian. The proprietors are Tom and Nancy. The rooms are very nice, and one of the owners (Tom) makes the nicest pastries. I could get very fat there.

In the Park itself, I prefer Mammoth Hotsprings and Grant Village to stay in. As you move later in the year, only Mammoth and Old Faithful are open. I have never had a positive experience in Old Faithful - the last time they totally glammed our reservations, and honestly, they were so unhelpful that I will never stay there again. Mammoth, while looking like an old hospital out of the 20s is nice, and very close to the action. Two years ago, I woke up to the sound of wolves. It was magnificent. Last time we were there in September, we heard mountain lions (though we could not see them).

If you are looking to stay towards the West Gate, I have a new favorite place. It is called the Hibernation Station. I would NEVER stay at this place as based on the outside look of the grounds. In my opinion, the outside decor borders on really gauche. However, do not let this dissuade you. The rooms are magnificent. I mean this - absolutely magnificent. The prices are also very affordable. For 119 per night (I am not sure if these were 'off season' rates), my wife and I stayed in a deluxe suite. It had cathedral ceilings, a huge bed, fire place, etc. When we left Old Faithful Lodge in a huff, we stayed there. For significantly less money than we were going to pay for a room at Old Faithful, we got a significant upgrade. There are other places in West Gate that are more affordable, however, I would not hesitate to go there again - and again - and again. How is that for a plug?

Last edited by James Morrissey; 03/03/07 11:15 PM.