Marty, I NEVER direct people on where or when to find bears, especially people I don’t know and have not spent time in the field with. Not because I’m a jerk, although some have said I am, but because it’s not right to tell someone to go to griz country (that includes blacks around here too, because they live in the same places) without knowing what they are doing, how they carry themselves and what are their skills. I don’t quibble over this issue. I do help most anyone that asks about photography in around the Park, but with bears I’m tight lipped, about the only way you ever will find them using my advise is to come along with me, and even then I dont go in seach of grizzly bears. One of my very best friends has been a grizzly bio for 20 years and he still tells me there's no pattern. . .

I will tell you this much, griz den at 7000 feet - mostly in snow drifts and the males, and sows with yearling cubs are first to emerge - right now - followed by sows with young of the year - still a couple weeks out.

NEVER approach a griz, make noise, and if you come upon one, just back out slowly, talk to them, and anticipate their direction but never cut them off and always give them respect. They will tell you if they are mad at you, or are not happy with your being near them.

As for where to find them, in the national parks listed is a good place to start, bears are where you find them otherwise!