Some really great bear photos, guys!

The bears were particularly active in the lower elevations of the Smokies this past year due to mast crop failure in the higher regions. Hopefully, the crop will be better this year and they won't be quite so plentiful in the areas people frequent and the areas I like to roam for deer. Like Tony, I don't go looking for bears but they do share the same space sometimes.

I always enjoy seeing the cubs but you must always be aware that mama is nearby. I cannot emphasize enough all the safety warnings and advice that's been posted in this thread already.

This one was coming down a tall tree to join his mama and two siblings.

This mama had three cubs but I couldn't get them all in the same frame with the telephoto.

Always remember they have these:

And these:

Even when they're sleeping in the trees, you always have to be mindful that they will wake up!

A two-year old female. I've seen her and her sister on several occasions. They aren't known to be troublemakers but you never know.

My best advice is to shoot from a car when you can and if not, use a long lens. Being careful isn't enough; you've got to learn all you can about bears but remember, the bears don't read the same books!

Regards,

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.