Bob I think you are right it can't be gels that Rachael is using, she probably has a ton of backdrops. That is great you have a studio! I have a studio for my art but no room for a photography studio too. I guess I could use the kitchen, it's big and I rarely use it LOL.

Thanks for the added info. I do have a transmitter (I just don't know the jargon yet ) a cheaper one off eBay that Julie suggested and has worked well so far. I had the threaded hole for a cable in my old film cameras but not my 20D or MKII....Ill check my manuals and see what they say about cables. I'd like to have the freedom to lay down on the floor in front of the dog etc.

AH I would never have thought of stacking gels! I can't wait to try that. Great tip Bob. Thanks. I am going to set up and take photos at a match in May mainly to practice stuff like that.

Julie,Racheal uses a 4 x 5 large format camera with a really shallow DOF. A friend gave me her book 101 Salivations, which is why I got into the studio stuff to begin with. I am copying the following right from her book:

I shot most of the images for this book using a 4 x 5 inch large-format camera, like the old fashioned box with the black cape over the back. I love the images it creates, you can almost reach into the picture and feel the animls fur. The shallow DOF is incredible: it draws you to the dog, especially its eyes. Yet, using the large format camera is probably the most difficult way to capture animals on film. If the dog moves, which they are inclined to do often, and without warning, you have to take the film out and refocus. It's a true game of patience not pointand shoot. But it's what I'm used to working with and what I really enjoy.

That part sounds like a bit of a nightmare doesn't it!

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com