Digital is NOT cheaper than film!!!! When I switched from film to digital, I saved $25,000 in film and processing costs, but it also cost me $25,000 in equipment to switch to digital so ... no savings. Add up the costs of new camera bodies every 2 years, the endless upgrades to computers, software, digital storage, CD's, DVD's, hard drives, printers, paper, ink, etc. and you are spending as much or more on digital than paying for film and processing. During the days of film, the camera bodies lasted for 10-30 + years. Now they last a full time professional photographer about 2 years. A new digital camera for professional use is $1000 to $5000 + while film cameras were for the most part below $1000. Then there are all the new lenses we had to buy because the old "film lenses" didn't resolve good enough for digital, the camera and lens repairs that didn't need repairing for film , but need to be repaired for digital. Worn out shutters, circuit boards going bad, lenses and bodies not communicating, etc. I base this on over 10 years of full time professional photography with over 1,000,000 photos in storage. We have just traded up front costs for back end costs. Would I go back to film? NO !!!! The advantage to digital is instant feedback, not savings.

How much time do you spend on post processing? Probably more time than you spent dropping off and picking up film. Remember, time IS money.

Last edited by DavidRamey; 05/08/07 04:26 PM.

David Ramey Photography