Quote:

Hi David,

While none of your points are debatable, I think a beginner's experience like Rachel's is different from your experience. I assume she already has at least a "starter" digital camera and it is much more affordable for her to shoot many practice images than a person with a similar quality film camera. Buying one roll of film, processing and prints for 36 exposures would cost her about $8 - $10 and not all of them keepers.

Once a person goes digital, it costs about the same to shoot 3600 images as it does to shoot 36. That's my point.

Oh yeah, instant feedback AND maintaining full control every step of the way are the best reasons for digital and that's what hooked me.

Have Fun!
Jeff

Jeff,
I agree with the full control (i can print here in my office up to 24x36") and the instant feedback. But my point on the cost of digital apples to everybody, not just a working pro. Let me give some examples for consumer quality.

film body = $500.

digital body = $1000 (with about the same features as film body)
computer = $500
printer = $100
programs = $200
Total = $1800
Difference = $1300
film & processing $10 per roll
You could buy 130 rolls of film (36 exposure) for the same amount of money and that equates to 4680 photos. This comparison doesn't even take into consideration the ink & paper for the printing of your own digital photos, so you could actually have more than 130 rolls of film & processing. For most beginners, this would be a year's worth of photography. 2 years after you bought this stuff, there will be newer and better computers, printers, cameras and today's 6 - 10 MP cameras will pale in comparison to the 30 MP cameras that will be here in 2 years.

Like I said, digital is not cheaper than film, but it is more convenient, more control over final product and faster feedback. I love digital for the control, the convenience, the instant feedback, but this common misconception that digital is cheaper than film is driving the price of photography down to the point that a lot of photographers are going out of business because they can't make a living at it anymore. And this will hurt all the beginners if they like photography and would like to make it their vocation.

David Ramey Photography