Hey David,

I have two points:
1. Most people now already have a computer in their homes, for the most part capable of supporting a beginning level of digital photography. For them the computer came first and then the camera. Your argument assumes the person decides to get into digpho and then buys a camera AND a computer. I don't think that is the common evolution of a beginner. Most will already have a computer for many other reasons and then get a camera.

With your argument it is like saying if I want to go to the store and buy a gallon of milk I would have to include the price of the car as part of the enjoyment of drinking milk even though I already had a car for many other reasons.

2. I can buy an entry level dig camera and not need a computer at all. I just shoot away and take the memory card to the drug store and an hour later I have a contact sheet and then chose the prints I want from the contact sheet. This scenario is problematic because it deprives the user of the joy and reasons for getting into digpho. However, this is the new world when film production and use has decreased and it is getting difficult to find a place to process film.

This is a very weak argument but I felt compelled to make it anyway.

You have a very practical and realistic perspective which needs to be taken into account for anybody getting into digpho.

But enough, let's stop hijacking this thread and how about you leaving some tips for Rachel from a pro's perspective.

I enjoyed the discussion.
Best Regards,
Jeff