DeeDee,
if you're using studio strobes, the lighting doesn't change from shot-to-shot or subject-to-subject. So once you've put up your backdrop and lights, if you keep them the same distance from the subject, the exposure should always be the same.

Now, there are (of course) exceptions. Black dogs might need you to open up a stop and/or white dogs might require you to close down a stop but overall, you should be on the money for most of the dogs/horses/people you shoot. I use 10 feet as my working distance from the subject and that's where I put my strobes set up at 45 degrees to the subject.

I have used a flash meter, placed at the subject location, to validate my f-stop but usually I just look at the image in the preview and know if it's right on or not. Since I have much more room in RAW for underexposure than for overexposure, I'm OK if I'm under by 1/2 stop.

As for high-key illumination, I haven't done it and I'm not all that interested in doing it but I'd guess the reference to the f-stops is for the strobe settings not the camera settings with the backdrop light being set for one stop less than the subject strobes which washes out all the shadows and creates that "floating" look.

As for fiddling while the dog is on the stand: don't. You should be set up and ready to shoot before any subject is in front of you. Once the dog gets on the table, you should be ready to bait and fire. That's why it's important to sort out the exposure stuff beforehand.

Something you said in your previous post baffles me: you said there were variations in lighting from the flourescent lights. If you're shooting with strobes, there should be no ambient effect from any room lights. I use B400s and I've never had an ambient light problem in any indoor location. And you get much more light out of your 800s. What shutter speed are you using?

Anyway, yes it's complicated and if you don't have a background in studio shooting, it's confusing. But I find it much easier than most other photography because you have total control of the light. That is one variable you don't have to bother with from shot to shot.

Keep testing and keep learning.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz