NWPBanner
Welcome! NWPphotoforum.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Camera, please help choose! #16141
06/29/08 03:43 PM
06/29/08 03:43 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Ireland
J
Jessticles Offline OP
Wanderer
Jessticles  Offline OP
Wanderer
J

Joined: Jun 2008
Ireland
Hi im jess, im new to the forum!
So heres my dilemma, i am going to buy my first dslr in a week or so, and for ages i have been researching cameras, and have fallen in love with the canon eos range, especially the eos 400d, but today i ran across a site that led me to the olympus e 510 as a better choice after filling in a survey (and when i was researching the cam i found this site) and i have really fell for it by looking at the article and the pictures, but obviously the camera isnt everything.... so i honestly don't know what would be a better choice.
I have been able to find more stuff on the eos range as the olympus which makes me think the eos is a better camera... But i am honestly completely lost and id like to see what you lot think, HONESTLY!! Even if you thik another camera would be better please tell me!
Thank you for any help in advance!!
Jess

Re: New Camera, please help choose! [Re: Jessticles] #16142
06/29/08 04:13 PM
06/29/08 04:13 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
check out the new 520 heck of a deal on a dslr. go the news stand and pick up the current issue of Popular Photography, it had a few articles that my interest you. . . one is on the NEW Oly 520 as well as a good comparison of several of the same class dslr's from canon, nikon, oly, etc. . .

Re: New Camera, please help choose! [Re: Tony Bynum] #16143
06/29/08 04:16 PM
06/29/08 04:16 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Ireland
J
Jessticles Offline OP
Wanderer
Jessticles  Offline OP
Wanderer
J

Joined: Jun 2008
Ireland
problem is, atm i'm in hungary and wont be able to buy the mag so my only help is the internet! I'll have a look at the 520, read up on it and see!
Do you find olys better for wildlife and animal photgraphy to others?

Re: New Camera, please help choose! [Re: Jessticles] #16144
06/29/08 06:49 PM
06/29/08 06:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
cant say, i've never shot the pro level olys, i'm told and have read that they clam to be very good, and with 2x crop factor their 250 f2.8 sure sounds like a winner to me. I would very much like to put the oly though it's paces, just have not done so yet. . .

I'm a nikon guy but I'm also willing to try anything that will help improve my photography.

check this out: http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5306/olympus-e-520-first-look.html

Re: New Camera, please help choose! [Re: Tony Bynum] #16145
06/29/08 07:53 PM
06/29/08 07:53 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Michigan
D
Di58 Offline
Tracker
Di58  Offline
Tracker
D

Joined: Jun 2008
Michigan
I don't know anything about the DSLR Canon cameras, but I just bought the E-510 with the two kit lenses for $600 total online. My old camera, which I have had great success with, is an Olympus Camedia C-765 ultra 10x zoom (a more sophisticated point and shoot). I must say that of this point in time, I am not seeing a significant difference in detail with the close up lens and the telephoto lens compared with my old camera. I made adjustments and it is better, but I am not satisfied yet. I shoot mostly birds and flowers. What I am thinking is that I will probably need the more expensive lenses to get the detail that I want. The kit lenses are just the basics. If I were you I would take my time. Don't rush into buying your first DSLR. Unless you have unlimited resources then wait and do more research on the internet and look at pictures taken with your camera. More megapixels doesn't necessarily mean you will have better picture quality. I hope this doesn't get you more confused.

Re: New Camera, please help choose! [Re: Jessticles] #16146
06/29/08 08:39 PM
06/29/08 08:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Joined: Mar 2005
Florida
Jess,
the DSLRs from any of the major manufacturers are all outstanding and bring you into systems -- lenses, flash units, macro gear, etc. -- that will meet any need you may have now or in the future. So, you can't go wrong with any of them.

The problem folks have is that they think that the camera is the whole answer the the better the camera/lens combination, the better their images. Unfortunately, the back end of the process is just as important as the capture part in making the most of your camera. You have to be willing to be your own lab to maximize your photographic process.

Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Fuji, Leica etc. all make great cameras and outstanding lenses. There are differences in terms of the sensor size, number of pixels and the like but at a certain price point, you couldn't go wrong with a camera/lens from any of these manufacturers. You should think about how you are going to use the camera which will help focus on the format that would be best for you -- 4/3, 1.6 crop factor, 1.3 crop factor, full-frame -- and then go and handle everything in your price range. I think that you'll find the right combination of a camera that does what you want and also just plain feels right.

You should be excited about your first DSLR but don't let the choices overwhelm you. There is no such thing as a mistake you can't correct. And remember that the lens is actually more important than the camera body in a DSLR. So choose that (or them) wisely.

Good luck and have lots of fun.

Jim


Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: New Camera, please help choose! [Re: Jim Garvie] #16147
06/30/08 11:32 AM
06/30/08 11:32 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Sep 2005
Portland Oregon
A few things I take into consideration when talking about gear selection are:

1. The system. When you get a DSLR you are investing in a system. So look at ALL the supporting lenses flashes, cables...etc to figure out who will give you an upgrade path your happy with.

2. Longevity of the company. This is smart in almost ANY purchase...not just camera gear. But it is especially important in these years of uncertianty in camera companys folding.

3. Ergonomics....go out and play with the cameras in the store. Take some time to get used to their way of making changes in the camera....some are more button and wheel approach to normal settings...some are more menu based, some are in between. See how it fits in your hand, and how balanced it is with the lenses your considering.

4. Features. Find one that gives you all the features you need for the type of photography your considering. Is flash important? Sensor size? Noise handling? Metering? Focus system?

These are areas that would influence the type of camera I would purchase.

As far as output quality.....usually most brands are so good these days (even in the base modles)....that the quality is more up to you and your skillsets than the abilitys of the camera.

Roman

Re: New Camera, please help choose! [Re: Jessticles] #16148
06/30/08 01:57 PM
06/30/08 01:57 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Joined: Feb 2006
Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

Hi im jess, im new to the forum!
So heres my dilemma, i am going to buy my first dslr in a week or so, and for ages i have been researching cameras, and have fallen in love with the canon eos range, especially the eos 400d, but today i ran across a site that led me to the olympus e 510 as a better choice after filling in a survey (and when i was researching the cam i found this site) and i have really fell for it by looking at the article and the pictures, but obviously the camera isnt everything.... so i honestly don't know what would be a better choice.
I have been able to find more stuff on the eos range as the olympus which makes me think the eos is a better camera... But i am honestly completely lost and id like to see what you lot think, HONESTLY!! Even if you thik another camera would be better please tell me!
Thank you for any help in advance!!
Jess




Jess,

I would second all the advice given by the others. I would stress the point made about considering your purchase as buying into a system. If you are really serious about wildlife photography, you will quickly realize that it is the quality of lenses that will be the key to great images. Most of the major brand DSLRs these days give excellent resolution. However, they don't all have the same availability of a good collection of high quality lenses. Also at the price of a good quality lens it's nice to have a body that has a large number of high quality used lenses available. I have owned Olys in the past and their high quality optics are superb. However, you might want to compare the lenses availbable from them comapared to the big two, Canon and Nikon. I think you will find that not only are there a greater number of lenses available to the C & N users, but there are a very large number of high quality and lower priced used lenses available.

Just something to consider.

Geo

Re: New Camera, please help choose! [Re: glamson] #16149
07/01/08 06:56 AM
07/01/08 06:56 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
North Carolina, triangle area
wallyspop Offline
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline
Old hand

Joined: Jan 2008
North Carolina, triangle area
Some very good advice here. The one thing I would add that I didn't see (sorry if it's there and I missed it) is go hold some in your hands. If you can, even rent the one you think you like. I wouldn't get too hung up on picking a specific size sensor for the type of shooting you're doing now, as I guarantee your style, taste and interest will evolve and change! Pick a camera that fits your needs and has the available options mentioned above but also pick a camera that fits you. The camera will become an extension of you over time........


Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Susitna Sled Dog, David Vitor, CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog
3319 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics641
Posts1,031
Members3,319
Most Online7,966
May 21st, 2026

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 5.6.40-1+hw4 Page Time: 0.035s Queries: 14 (0.007s) Memory: 0.9480 MB (Peak: 1.9736 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-04 15:17:37 UTC