NWPBanner
Welcome! NWPphotoforum.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. #29768
06/09/10 12:21 PM
06/09/10 12:21 PM
Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
Where do the files "go" when exporting to disc in LR3?

In LR2, they went to a folder (user specified) that could be accessed later, or burned to disc again without going through the whole export process.

I used those folders to investigate if someone said they had files missing, etc. If the "new way" is to use some sort of temp folder, then I need to rethink my workflow.

Re: Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. [Re: Jim Poor] #29769
06/09/10 04:57 PM
06/09/10 04:57 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
the folder selection is in the upper right hand corner in develop or catalog for import and on export it's at the top of the export dialog box, just like it has been since the first iteration . . . That said, there is a new selection called "export to" the options are, dvd disk, or HD, it's at the very top of the export window. . . .

Re: Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. [Re: Tony Bynum] #29770
06/09/10 09:39 PM
06/09/10 09:39 PM
Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks Tony,

I get all that, however in LR2, when CD/DVD was selected in the export to area (not new to LR3, btw, it just looks different) the files still ended up in a folder before going to the disc.

In LR3, it seems that they go direct to the disc without a folder first.

Re: Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. [Re: Jim Poor] #29771
06/10/10 02:18 AM
06/10/10 02:18 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
it's selectable . . . it is different but it's much better now . . .

Re: Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. [Re: Tony Bynum] #29772
06/10/10 06:33 AM
06/10/10 06:33 AM
Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
It was selectable then.

My question is still; "Where do the files go?"

In LR2, they went to a folder and then you go the burn disc dialog. Now, it seems they go directly to disc.

Re: Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. [Re: Jim Poor] #29773
06/10/10 09:12 AM
06/10/10 09:12 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Feb 2005
Montana
they go EXACTLY where you tell them to go upon import or export . . . you tell LR what you want it to do after the export . . . The default for LR 3.0 is "my pictures" I think . . .

in any event, i'm not sure i follow you but maybe it's because i customized LR to make it do what I wanted it to do and never burn from LR, i use a third party burn program . . . In any event, you tell the files to go where you want them, the default with LR 3.0 is "my pictures" if youre a PC guy . . .

Re: Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. [Re: Tony Bynum] #29774
06/10/10 10:15 AM
06/10/10 10:15 AM
Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
That's my whole point, there seems to be NO WAY to tell them to go anywhere when exporting to CD/DVD.

Here are screenshots from LR2 and LR3.

In LR2, I can choose a folder and sub-folder even when exporting to CD/DVD.



In LR3, it appears that I can't.


Re: Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. [Re: Jim Poor] #29775
06/10/10 10:17 AM
06/10/10 10:17 AM
Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
And in other news, it appears that if you try to burn to a disc that doesn't have enough room, rather than giving the option to switch disc types or use multiple discs, LR3 just locks up.

Re: Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. [Re: Jim Poor] #29776
06/10/10 10:21 AM
06/10/10 10:21 AM
Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Joined: May 2008
Virginia, USA
A search for the file name reveals that the exported files are NOT on the computer anywhere unless they are hidden in an invisible temp file of some sort.

Re: Anyone else using LR3 yet? I have a question. [Re: Jim Poor] #29777
06/11/10 12:40 PM
06/11/10 12:40 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Wisconsin
Welshfilly Offline
Tracker
Welshfilly  Offline
Tracker

Joined: Oct 2009
Wisconsin
Hi, I've not posted on this forum before, but have enjoyed reading it as time permits. I work full time as a photographer.

I don't have Lightroom 3 yet, but from your screenshot it appears that if you burn directly to disc from inside Lightroom, the exported files must sit in a temporary folder until the disc is burned and then they are deleted. In the 64-bit version of Lightroom 2 (which I use) you can't burn to disc inside Lightroom at all. So if you want to hang onto the exported files AND burn a disc, just export the photos to your hard drive and then burn those to a disc after the fact. This way you are able to save the exported files to review if needed. I like to save them as well.

Hope I've been of help.

polly


Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Susitna Sled Dog, David Vitor, CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog
3319 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics641
Posts1,031
Members3,319
Most Online7,966
May 21st, 2026

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 5.6.40-1+hw4 Page Time: 0.025s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 0.9525 MB (Peak: 1.9723 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-04 15:17:54 UTC