09/17/05 01:51 AM
09/17/05 01:51 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Living in Portland Oregon, I am overwhelmed with the beauty that surrounds us here and the diversity of the state. Took a friend of ours son out on a 4AM hike to Wahcelella Falls in the Columbia Gorge and brought my water slippers so I can revisit these falls and get some shots from mid stream. Water was COLD...but the shots were worth it to me.

Hope that you enjoy them!

Re: Just joined....first post. Few recent shots. [Re: RomanJohnston] #643
09/17/05 10:14 AM
09/17/05 10:14 AM
Calgary
J
JRDAVIS Offline
Wanderer
JRDAVIS  Offline
Wanderer
J

Calgary
Roman,
Welcome, excellent work. Please welcome Roman, he's a friend from DPreview.

John

Re: Just joined....first post. Few recent shots. [Re: JRDAVIS] #644
09/17/05 10:32 AM
09/17/05 10:32 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

"Took a friend of ours son out on a 4AM hike to Wahcelella Falls in the Columbia Gorge and brought my water slippers so I can revisit these falls and get some shots from mid stream. Water was COLD...but the shots were worth it to me."

Those are just spectacular. How far in did you get? I hope you wore hip waders. I prefer the top photo most - though I think they both are very well done.

Curiously, how fast was the water running?

-JM

Re: Just joined....first post. Few recent shots. [Re: James Morrissey] #645
09/17/05 01:45 PM
09/17/05 01:45 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Thanks John....wonderful feel here...seems dedicated to where my heart is..nature/landscape photography.

James....got up to my waist to cross the stream...percariously balancing my camera and tripod till I got closer to the other side (couldnt take the temps for long that deep) My wife reccomended hip waders...thinking that would be the perfect thing for this...as I like getting perspectives that others usually avoid. Water wasnt running too fast....not a real fight. Looks faster though on film as it was early morning...so much slower shutter speed.

Upper shot was out of the dynamic range of the camera...so blended 2 bracketed shots together using a layer mask to only include the properly exposed falls into the shot...just too many hot spots in the falls when I checked my histogram. I try to strive for what my eyes captured and leave my editing to that....I never remove or add things that were there...nor do I try to add color my eyes dont remember.

Thanks much guys...I really look forward to participating in the environment here.

Great work so far posted as I can see.

Re: Just joined....first post. Few recent shots. [Re: RomanJohnston] #646
09/18/05 12:42 AM
09/18/05 12:42 AM
S
Sheebs Offline
Wanderer
Sheebs  Offline
Wanderer
S

Wonderful images, Roman. Breath taking!

Re: Just joined....first post. Few recent shots. [Re: Sheebs] #647
09/18/05 09:42 AM
09/18/05 09:42 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Thanks Sheebs!!

Re: Just joined....first post. Few recent shots. [Re: RomanJohnston] #648
09/18/05 01:52 PM
09/18/05 01:52 PM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Hi, Roman, good to see you here! I always enjoy your posts on the DPReview D70 forum and these are some of my favorites. Really superb work with lighting.

Best regards,

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.
Re: Just joined....first post. Few recent shots. [Re: RichardR] #649
09/18/05 05:43 PM
09/18/05 05:43 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Thanks Dick...and welcome! New here too. Like the atmosphere already...not the sillyness in the D70 forums.

Look forward to seeing more of your stuff too.

Roman

Re: Just joined....first post. Few recent shots. [Re: RomanJohnston] #650
09/18/05 11:42 PM
09/18/05 11:42 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

"James....got up to my waist to cross the stream...percariously balancing my camera and tripod till I got closer to the other side (couldnt take the temps for long that deep) My wife reccomended hip waders...thinking that would be the perfect thing for this...as I like getting perspectives that others usually avoid. Water wasnt running too fast....not a real fight. Looks faster though on film as it was early morning...so much slower shutter speed."

It certainly is a breathtaking image. I am impressed because I see no signs of camera shake in the image. I would assume that the current would be enough to jostle the camera around, but it appears not. On another note, hip waders are a great idea. It would never have occurred to me to get IN to the water. Well done.

"Upper shot was out of the dynamic range of the camera...so blended 2 bracketed shots together using a layer mask to only include the properly exposed falls into the shot...just too many hot spots in the falls when I checked my histogram. I try to strive for what my eyes captured and leave my editing to that....I never remove or add things that were there...nor do I try to add color my eyes dont remember."

On my front page, I have a method for keeping highlight detail (as long as you initially exposed for the highlights). It was my very first article here at NWP and as a result is a bit sloppier than most I have done. However, it does help finish the job. It basically is a simple tutorial on layers and masking.

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/JM_Pieces/Highlights/Highlights.htm?Cat=0

-JM

Re: Just joined....first post. Few recent shots. [Re: James Morrissey] #651
09/20/05 10:05 AM
09/20/05 10:05 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
No camera shake...as I took it in less deep water. I also put pressure down on the tripod seating it well....I could see the rocks in the crystal clear stream...and found well seated pockets to land the feet in....once seated (about 14" of water...again...it was cold...if I had hip waders...I would have tried from the deeper part) so it wasnt fighting too much water. My Gitzo 2220 is pretty heavy/solid....yet light enough to pack in. My old school Benbo...now that thing is a tank...but isnt very pack friendly.....darn near take a hurricane to knock it over though.....its my choice when I can use it.

LOL...actually been thinking about a Great Dane....I met a photographer that used theirs as a (very mild) pack animal....and it doubled (of course) as an awesome companion....and they dont complain when you wake them at 3:30 am for a run to find prime light.

I think I am going to try more "in stream" shots. I have solid insurance on my equipment....and I am very careful...even have the LowePro Drizone bag to keep things dry in a wet environment (at least protected till I take it out...lol)

When the Fall colors in The Gorge get stronger...their is a rock near the edge of the top of Multnoma falls...I want to wade out to the rock...set up my gear for a view of the gorge from the top of the falls mid stream just before the fallover point.

Thanks again!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 500 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer